Monday, February 17, 2014

Snowed in!

One nice thing about having a snow day is the opportunity to be lazy and productive at the same time... I love laying around in my sweatpants and fuzzy socks, curling up on the couch, and exploring my favorite teaching blogs. Of course, I always find things that I NEED TO MAKE RIGHT NOW!

Idea #1:
 
I was inspired by this post from Reagan Tunstall this morning (see her post here) about Sight Word Sticks for word work. Luckily, I had a few empty soup cans under my kitchen sink and a box of colored popsicle sticks from Michael's Craft Store (can you say EDUCATOR DISCOUNT?!) and I whipped these up this morning! We are working on spelling our Primer Dolch Words so I made 5 sets of primer word sticks. Reagan has a great set of printables to go with this idea on her TPT store, but here's an ABC order activity for free from ME with a set of labels for your stick holders!
I covered the cans in fun cardstock and slapped a label on them! Easy!
Idea #2:
In my classroom, I have a chromebook and projector set up on a cart. I am always looking for new ways to use the technology with my students. I decided to create a powerpoint slide to display on our projector for a LONG I WORD SORT as a Daily 5 word work center. Above is visual of the slide. You can save the image to your computer to project in your classroom by clicking this link! I have yet to try projecting this slide and I am hoping that it isn't blurry when expanded. Students will record their word family sort on this FREE PRINTABLE. If all goes well this week, I hope to make more projectable word family sorts!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the freebie! I'm using the stick ABC order for my students and hope it will strengthen their ABC order skills. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete