Saturday, February 22, 2014

Lovin' the Weekend and Dr. Seuss!

Wow! What a fun morning we had yesterday. Originally, we weren't supposed to have school on Friday but it was a snow day make-up day. One of many that we will have this year... agh Wisconsin winter is getting to me this year (I love winter until about the end of January, but this year has been rough)! Since we were in school, I decided to make it our BIG DR. SEUSS READ IN EXTRAVAGANZA! The past few weeks leading up to yesterday, we have been reading TONS of Dr. Seuss books, which are my favorite, especially The Sneetches.... I think we've read that one three times already this year. :)

Here's a look at our Lorax craft that we did a few weeks ago. Students wrote about what they would do if they were the Lorax. I'm wishing right now that my bulletin background wasn't yellow but I didn't have the time or energy to change it before I hung up our artwork. On the plus side, my Truffula tree actually somewhat turned out this year... last year it looked so sad that I couldn't bring myself to hang it up.

Yesterday, the kiddos came to school in their pajamas. They were allowed to bring a small stuffed animal, a small blanket, and their favorite Dr. Seuss book from home.
Firsties look so cute and innocent in their PJs! Too cute!

The kids spread out around the room, read Dr. Seuss books, and did some Dr. Seuss writing/puzzles/mazes. For a FREE COPY of my Dr. Seuss printables, click the link!
I also made GREEN EGGS AND HAM... which I told the kids about a few days ago. I was soon met with many silly "ewww, gross!" comments so I did not have high expectations for the kids actually eating the green eggs. However, the most miraculous thing happened... every single kid ate their green eggs and ham... AND THEY WANTED SECONDS! I almost fell over. One little girl even smelled hers and said to me, "Mrs. O'Connor, they smell so good!" I don't know about you, but deviled eggs never SMELL GOOD to me... I love them, but the smell is stinky! I guess you truly never know what is going to happen when you teach first grade! That is one of the things I love most!

I was starving yesterday after school and I convinced my husband to go to Olive Garden for dinner (my guilty pleasure)! Comfort food! We stopped by Half Priced Books, where I love to look for books for my kiddos book bins and I found a few that I think they will love for Read to Self!
I also found a new book for myself. I can be kind of picky about books so I was excited to see that there is a sequel to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It look creepy, but it is intended for young adults, so it's really not! I always love reading books in a series, but I just get so attached to the characters (something that my kiddos are feeling about Cam Jansen...). Excited to dig into this one soon! I am a big fan of series like the Hunger Games and Harry Potter and I would put Miss Peregrine into that "type" of book.
Hmmm, this is one of those weekends, where my husband and I really don't have any plans, which I LOVE! I am totally looking forward to relaxing this morning, drinking my coffee (loaded with Hershey's Chocolate Caramel creamer, of course! Oops!), listening to my favorite Pandora Radio Station (Ella Fitzgerald), and finishing some of my lesson plans for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment